Latin Cuisine with Aloja – November 12, 2014 6:00 – 9:00 p.m.
Cactus Bistro, 767 Kailua Road (Davis Building), Kailua
Slow Foodies and friends are invited to a special dinner prepared byCactus Bistro especially for our members. Chef owner John Memering embodies the principles of Slow Food in the acquisition and preparation of the foods that he serves. John’s menus include as much as 60 to 70 percent local grown ingredients. He came to Hawaii 11 years ago well versed in the locavore movement. Memering credits O’ahu Fresh, his supplier, for bringing him the freshest products local farmers have to offer in any given week, often changing his menu depending upon the availability of items. Cactus Bistro specializes in Latin cuisine. Cactus is a celebration of the cuisines fo the new Americas with Aloha, transporting the flavors, culinary traditions and techniques from Central and South America as well as Cuba, Puerto Rico, and Mexico. Cactus features local produce, Shinsato Farms pork from Kahalu’u, Kulana and Kuahiwi beef, veal, wild boar from the Big Island, and sustainably caught or farmed seafood from the island chain.
Our menu for the evening (subject to change based upon the availability of ingredients) is as follows:
* Hau’ula tomato caldo frio, Kaffir lime, “Nalo” epazote espuma, Reginito parmesana churro with a sparkling glass of Argentinian champagne.
* Go Farm’s, freshly ground, corn canjica, wood, roasted Hamakua mushrooms, Tomatillo marmaletta, Malbec poached Waianae chicken egg, roasted bone marrow, kale chicharrone.
* Ensalada, lightly cured Ho Farm’s tomatoes, Waialua, Sharwill avocado, grilled hearts of palm, Sumida watercress, Tokyo Negi escabeche’, crispy Cholco corn, Kunia pineapple, chile Rocoto vinagreta.
* Troll, day boat island fish & imu style, Shinsato Farm’s pork bell “Barbaqoa”, roasted in local banana leaves. Quinoa scented with jalapeno & Huacatay, locally sourced accoutrements
* Andean green pumpkin flan, bitter orange caramel, Madre chocolate foam, Big Island cocoa nibs.
The cost is $45 for members; $55 for non-members. Attendance is limited to 20 people. Alcohol is not included but may be purchased at the dinner. To register, go to bit.ly/sfoevents