The Slow Food Movement
Oahu Slow Food subscribes to the Statement of Principles adopted by Slow Food USA:
- recognizing the interdependence of people with one another and with our environment
- caring for the land and protecting biodiversity for today’s communities and future generations
- promoting pure food that is local, seasonal and organically grown
- Cultural Diversity
- recognizing food as a language that expresses cultural diversity
- preserving the myriad traditions of the table
- cultivating and reinvigorating a sense of community and place
- Pleasure and Quality in Everyday Life
- celebrating the diverse expressions of our earth’s bounty
- appreciating and encouraging creativity, passion and beauty
- respecting and supporting artisans who grow, produce, market, prepare and serve wholesome food
- following democratic principles in a spirit of sharing and service
- educating members and others about Slow Food’s mission
- dedicating ourselves to local cooperation and global collaboration
- Authenticity and Integrity
- insuring our values are embodied by all staff, board members and convivium leaders
- manifesting these values in all of our events, projects and publications
- committing ourselves to partnerships with like-minded individuals and organizations
- To these we would add a concern for humane treatment of farm animals, and a policy of supporting food charities from the proceeds of all events.
There are other groups in the state:
- Slow Food Hawai’i for the Big Island
- Slow Food Kaua’i
- KCC Slow Food is a culinary student convivium at Kapiolani Community College
- Slow Food Maui: contact email@example.com
One of our ongoing goals is supporting Oahu’s Terra Madre delegation. We have helped raise funds for our farmers and other food producers so that they can go to Italy for the Terra Madre conference. Our delegates left to right: Paul and Laurie Reppun (Terra Madre 2006), Summer Shimabukuro, Manny Miles and Keli’i Kotubetey (Terra Madre 2008).
Ark of Taste
The US Ark of Taste is a catalog of over 200 delicious foods in danger of extinction. By promoting and eating Ark products we help ensure they remain in production and on our plates.
Slow Food USA accepts nominations for additional products to be considered in The Ark of Taste. If you are interested in suggesting a product, click here for a Nomination Form.
There are currently five Hawaii products in the Ark of Taste: