Seed Exchange and Gardening Fair – November 7, 2015
Waimea Valley, 8:30 – 2:00
Slow Food O’ahu and Hawaii SEED
invite you to a “Seed Exchange & Gardening Fair” at Waimea Valley on Saturday, November 7, 2015
. This FREE event will be jam packed with lots of goodies for backyard gardeners and farmers. Please bring your seeds and cuttings to share. Note these important details listed below. In addition to the Exchange, there will be a number of exciting activities and opportunities to learn more about island backyard gardening and food production. There will be workshops on Chickens, Beekeeping, Kalo, as well as childrens’ activities and a locavore potluck at noon
. An added bonus will be a native plant sale and a fruit tree giveaway.
Seed Sharing Protocol:
1. Do not share seeds of invasive species!
2. Do not share brassica seeds as spread of blackrot can happen, it is a seed-borne disease and many of the seed companies are having a problem with this.
3. Do not share old seeds as germination may be low.
4. label or bring a description of each of the seeds you share including date of harvest.
5. Bring your own seed envelopes or baggies and markers for labeling.
6. Do not take more than 25% of any seed or cutting; leave some for others.
If you are interested in seeds, you may be interested in Michael Tortorello’s article “What Comes After Heirloom Seeds” in the September 10, 2015 issue of the New York Times.